Friday, June 15, 2012

You are missed....

Four weeks ago a good friend and lifetime buddy(of 28 years) of Glen's was put in ICU due to breathing complications. We soon learned that he had severe pneumonia in his lungs. He was put on a ventilator when he was brought in to the hospital to help the Dr's run test. However, his wishes were to never live or survive by a machine. After many test, a tracheotomy, several attempts at a feeding tube and 4 weeks later (to the day), JB Spence passed away at age 37. JB was an inspiration to so many people. JB was diagnosed in 5th grade with Muscular Dystrophy. Glen tells me he remembers meeting JB for the first time at Gulf Coast Bible Camp. They became instant friends because JB had "gold"- SNACKS! Glen says that summer at camp is when, he remembers, JB falling and one of the counselors had to carry him back to the cabin. After that JB was diagnosed and told by Dr's that he wouldn't make it to his high school graduation. He sure showed all those Dr's! He went on to walk across the stage at graduation and complete college. I was blessed to be able to attend his college graduation. It was definitely a proud day for all.
Over the past several weeks and this past Wednesday night, there have been many memories shared. To hear so many stories and memories from Glen makes me wish I had known JB for more than the short 11 years that I did. He was an inspiration. He never complained, never said he "couldn't do something" and was always right there with everyone no matter what they were doing. The love people had for him is unmeasurable. No one thought twice to help him go somewhere, attend a baseball game, concert, or youth event. He loved attending church service and was upset when he just wasn't physically well enough to attend. 

This Wednesday will be a day that I will never forget.  I will forever have etched in my memory the look in his eyes when his momma came into his ICU room and had to tell him that there was nothing more that the Dr's could do.  No parent should ever have to tell their child that. 
I will never forget his room filled with people who loved him dearly, watching as the ventilator was unhooked and as he feel into a deep peaceful sleep.  I will forever remember Glen, Wayne Rowe, Sandy (my mother in-law) and his mom, Mary, holding his hands as he took his last breath.  I will never be able to get the sound the monitor made when he took his last breath.  The look of sadness,tears and pain that my husband had at that very moment will forever be etched in my mind. 

It has been a long few weeks for JB and his family.  But now, JB is no longer in pain. He has a brand new body. He is finally able to RUN the race and I know he can NOT wait for all his family and friends to come RUN the race with him.  You are loved and will be greatly missed JB.


No comments: